Dales and Lakes Bicycle Tour 2020: Day 6



I knew there'd be a lane



Magical like this one



Leading somewhere



Through a gate


 a muddy track, up a hill



another gate



Special


Exactly


Here

                                                                               
Loweswater

                                                     
It was another day in Paradise as the Seatoller signpost came into view. It was pastures new for me today as I'd never visited this quarter of The Lake District before. In truth I was in for lanes new, waters new and steep mountain passes new before the day was out. Minus the camping gear on the back, I was having a quasi rest day!


Honister Pass

On a steep incline at Honister Pass two adventurers on whirring electric mountain bikes overtook me. A little further up the hill I saw them along one of the off-road trails leading down and around the mountain back to Derwentwater. Nice idea.



Tackling the twenty percent gradients was ameliorated by the thirty six rear sprocket on my Thorn Club Tour, the  reduced loading bringing it's own kind of freedom. At the top, next to the slate mine, I stopped to rest and was joined by a stoked group of lads that had cycled up the other way from  Buttermere.

To Buttermere

The long descent from the top of the pass brought stunning views of beautiful Buttermere and Crummock Water. Another friendly motorcyclist kindly took my photograph (and I his) as we both stopped to admire the practically tropical conditions at the head of the valley.
                                                                                                 
Untypically tropical Buttermere




Further along Buttermere I came across a small beach area, down a steep embankment from the road, where there was a warm glow of human endeavour occurring. I couldn't explain it, only savour that moment.

Was it the scuba divers, the swimmer, the canoeist or the cyclists, the wildlife or the walkers, the mountains or the mirror? Who knows, but all came together at the little cove; some inordinate alignment of positive energy in the universe had created the perfect feeling...summer.




Magic at Buttermere

A "healthy" slice of Cumberland sausage roll served as lunch in Buttermere village. The world's most patient dog sat and watched me eat most of it, but the cuteness got me in the end. Clever dog!

Passing along Crummock Water was just as stunning too, I enthusiastically bagged it for my collection. Another one loomed into view. It was more remote, set back with no obvious route to it. I had missed the turn. Down a side road I felt  certain I would find a little lane leading somewhere special.

Having retraced my way back from Loweswater, delicious rolling countryside, the most perfect cycling roads imaginable, led me towards Whinlatter Pass. A stranded cyclist was scrambling forlornly with a failed spare inner tube. As we discussed options a large group of roadies came to the rescue, producing the perfect matching skinny tube.

I briefly joined another large group on mountain bikes. We parted as they followed the official C2C route up through Whinlatter Forest itself. I took the spectacular road that sweeps around through the wide gorge into the pass. Whinlatter is a long climb but the gradient is much friendlier than Honister. At the top I met the same guys on mountain bikes as they rested between the forest and the road. 
                                   
                                                       
Whinlatter: near the trail centre

At the trail centre two guys braked at the edge of the woods, one was too late and he went AOT over the low rail at the end of the trail. The shrieks of laughter revealed that no harm was done, at least not to any humans anyway. "I wish I had filmed that one" I shouted across to them.


A flatter section of Whinlatter Pass


When the imposing features of Skiddaw came into view I knew I would soon be back down in Keswick.

                                                      
Skiddaw



In an outlying neighbourhood, just above the town, I couldn't resist taking a closer look at a bicycle for sale:

                                                       
Nice Dawes Super Galaxy touring bicycle

It was in great condition and I chatted with the owner about some of the riding he had done on it. I took a phone number but decided not to buy it in the end.

Back in Keswick, I sampled some of the hospitality in the courtyard of  the Bank Tavern before bimbling back down Borrowdale. 

It had been an enjoyable day off from cycle touring.












                                                          






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dirwnod Un: Taith feiciau Ynys Mon (2022)

Dales and Lakes Bicycle Tour 2020: Day 1

Bikepacking through Wales April 2019: Taff to Mersey Ride