Dales and Lakes Bicycle Tour 2020: Day 4 (part i)


Dawn at Croft House Farm is not too shabby either






I had to grab my old back-up phone and snap the sunrise over Shap Fell



After a trip to the wash room (how did you guess?)
 I decided to take a walk back up the lane towards Shap 












Looking west, the sheep are not that impressed except by their grassy breakfast



I think it was worth it





"Don't pay the ferryman until he gets you to the other side" advised Chris de Burgh wisely. Now in the virus era "Don't pay the ferryman until you've checked on the internet first" doesn't quite have the same ring to it. 





I had made the assumption that the ferry was not running but I wanted to ride down the eastern side of Ullswater. This was now a tour of The Lakes after all.





The ferry was running as it turned out, but only between Pooley Bridge and Glenridding, so I had to endure wandering the eastern side of Ullswater  twice on the same day all alone, the golden sunlight fluttering through the tree-lined shore, myriad rays dancing off the technicoloured foliage eager to bursting with early autumn glory, a cooling breeze maintaining an equitable simmer.

"We have to walk all the way back now" grumbled the unhappy couple I met near the furloughed ferry point at Howtown.

"At least you have that bicycle"

They were so damn right and I was gonna ride it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dirwnod Un: Taith feiciau Ynys Mon (2022)

Dales and Lakes Bicycle Tour 2020: Day 1

Bikepacking through Wales April 2019: Taff to Mersey Ride