Diwrnod chwech: Tro gan Gogledd Cymru; Arfordir a Chefn Gwlad ar Gefn Beic (2021)

NCN61:The only significant stretch of off-road track on the trip

Day six: Betws Garmon to Bangor


The picnic table beside the river was the perfect place to have my last breakfast of the trip. The low-mileage blackberry tea-infusion was special too, but my staple cereal bars had me dreaming of freshly caught wild brown trout roasting over an open fire. There were even a few sunbeams peeking over the hills.

Breakfast in Snowdonia

Out on the road, mid-morning, I quickly came across numerous camp-grounds that probably would have suited me and my wallet more nicely, but I was enjoying the lovely sun-kissed valley ride towards Caernarfon, so I didn't fret over it too much! 

Shortly after that, grey clouds filled in all around and I felt some gentle specs of rain for the first time on the tour. The ride still had another of those surprises in store in the form of NCN61, which turned out to be a gem of an off-road cycle route, the only significant one of the tour. The track dropped me down just south of Caernarfon, where I headed to get some lunch.

NCN 61 is a gem of an off-road cycle route near Caernarfon

The only significant stretch of off-road track on the trip

The town was very quiet that Sunday lunch-time. Most of the shops were closed. I did find a chippy open and a veggie burger with chunky chips and beans kept me going towards the mainline railway station at Bangor. 

The station at Caernarfon is on the Wales Mountain Railway connecting over the hills I had just crossed towards Porthmadog. To connect to a mainline station I had to ride back to Bangor. The alternative (from Porthmadog) to keep going south to Aberystwyth would have involved a more convoluted train journey home via Birmingham.


Caernarfon Castle

Caernarfon harbour


I retraced my route along NCN8, although through Bangor I traveled along roads I did not recognize. NCN8 did, however, very conveniently deliver me outside Bangor Railway Station at about 1.30 pm. I had to buy a single ticket to Chester as I had a return ticket to Liverpool from there already.

For mainline trains  in the UK you have to book your bicycle on the train beforehand, but there is currently no charge for doing so.



At Bangor railway station

I had an hour to wait for my train to Chester, time to reflect on the highlights of the tour.

Of course there are too many really but the ramparts above Penmaenmawr, Llandudno West Shore, the mountain road through Snowdonia and all The Lleyn stand out. Oh I know, that's just about all of the trip!

There was at least one loose end to be tied up later...






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dirwnod Un: Taith feiciau Ynys Mon (2022)

Dales and Lakes Bicycle Tour 2020: Day 1

Dirwnod dau: Taith feiciau Ynys Mon (2022)